Monday, June 25, 2012

Crumb Cake

I'll admit that this wasn't my first choice of recipes to try today.  I only made it because I was in the mood for some type of chocolate cake, but was out of chocolate.  Don't get me wrong, I like crumb cake. There's nothing like a warm slice for breakfast!  I'm actually glad now that I was out of chocolate because this turned out delicious, and my sweet tooth is quite satisfied!  



Did I just say I was happy to be out of chocolate??  I must be losing it. ;-)

This recipe is adapted from Post Punk Kitchen, and is refined sugar free.

Crumb Cake
Ingredients
3/4 cup rice milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

For the topping:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375.  Lightly grease a 9 inch round baking dish and set aside.

For the cake:
In a large bowl, add rice milk and apple cider vinegar.  Stir to mix and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle.  After 5 minutes have passed, stir in the maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract.

Sift in the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.  Stir until well combined.  Pour batter (it will be a bit thick) into prepared dish and set aside.

For the topping:
In a small bowl, mix together flour, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg.  

Add the coconut oil and stir it in just a bit.  Finishing working the coconut oil into the mixture with your fingers, forming little crumbs with the dough.  Sprinkle the crumbs evenly on top of the cake mixture.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (mine took the full 40 minutes)  Let cool on wire rack before slicing.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Mmmmmm I used to bake crumb cake when I was a teen. This recipe sounds delicious with the coconut and coconut oil!

Christine said...

Thank you! Don't you just love recipes that bring back memories? :)