Monday, April 2, 2012

Hearty Lentil Stew

I wanted to make some lentil soup this weekend since I haven't had it in a while.  I think it's sort of a vegetarian/vegan staple, right?  The weather was cold and rainy here yesterday, so it was the perfect day for a nice warm bowl!  I thought about making it a bit thicker and more "comfort food-like", so I threw together this recipe for lentil stew.   


Hearty Lentil Stew
Ingredients
1 tbsp water
1 cup onion, chopped
3-4 small celery stalks, chopped
3-4 small carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 small potatoes, chopped into small chunks
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cups lentils
               4 cups vegetable broth


Directions:
Heat 1 tbsp of water over medium heat in stock pot (I used a 4.5 quart pot).  

Saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic for about 5 minutes.  Add potatoes, salt & pepper and saute for about a minute more.  

Add lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.  

Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-45 minutes, or until lentils are cooked and liquid is mostly absorbed.  

*Optional - mash a bit with potato masher to thicken things up*  


Wholesome Ingredients
Sauteing the veggies
Simmering pot

This turned out very tasty and I really enjoyed the thickness of it.  I had a big bowl with one of my bread machine hard rolls.   




It really was the perfect comfort food for a dreary, rainy night!  I can't wait to have some leftovers for lunch.  :)

No comments: