Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Maple Nut Spread

I'm not a tofu kind of gal!  I guess I assume it's sort of a "go to" for vegetarians/vegans, but maybe I'm wrong?  Are there others like me that just don't like it, except for miso soup?

I've been longing for a "cream cheese" alternative for toast and such, but most recipes seem to use tofu.  This recipe that I adapted was no exception.  I decided to get creative though and use cashews instead.  I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but this was one risk that was worth the reward!

This is a dense and creamy spread that's just the right amount of sweet!  It doesn't taste like cream cheese, but it's a nice alternative!  It almost looks like cake when it's done baking, but once it cools off, it spreads nicely.  Give it a try!

This recipe is adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies

Maple Nut Spread
(yields 8 servings, or 2 cups)
Ingredients
1/3 cup raisins, soaked
hot water
1 cup cashews
1/4 cup basic homemade yogurt (or store bought if you prefer)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp tahini
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp flour
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 1 quart baking dish (I used a 2 quart because I didn't have a 1 quart and it worked fine).

Place raisins in a bowl and pour hot water over them (enough to cover).  Set aside to soak.

Place cashews, yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon, tahini, vanilla and flour in a food processor/blender.  Blend until well combined.  

Drain raisins and add to food processor/blender.  Pulse several times to chop them up and blend them into the cashew mixture.

Pour cashew mixture into baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, until set.  Cool completely before serving.



2 comments:

Val said...

Oohh.. this sounds yum!!!
Now I'm having seller's remorse for this very book! LOL ;)

I'll have to try this soon!

Christine said...

Oh, I'm sorry you don't have the book anymore! You'll have to buy it again when you're back in the US! :)