Saturday, July 14, 2012

French Toast

As I've mentioned in previous breakfast recipe posts, I typically eat the same thing almost every morning.  I love oatmeal and smoothies so I don't experiment too much beyond that.  I do love french toast though for an occasional treat (like the weekends!) and have yet to try a veg recipe, until today!  This turned out better than I'd hoped, as I was a bit skeptical.   It was actually quite delicious!

This recipe is adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies.

French Toast
(makes 8 slices)
Ingredients
2 large, ripe bananas
1 cup rice milk (or other non-dairy)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp ground flax-seed
1/2 tsp vanilla
8 slices texas toast (I used my homemade bread, sliced thick)
Organic, Grade B maple syrup

Directions:
Place bananas, rice milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, flax-seed and vanilla in a blender/food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour batter into a shallow 8x8 baking dish (or any type of shallow dish)

Heat a pan (or griddle) over high heat until drops of water splatter when flicked on the pan.

Dip both sides of bread into batter and transfer each slice to the griddle.  Lower heat to medium and cook on one side for about 2 minutes.  Flip and cook on the other side for about 3 minutes more.  

Serve french toast with maple syrup and enjoy!


4 comments:

Val said...

YUM!!! I love French Toast! (We actually just had it for dinner the other night as I was craving it! LOL)
What a great idea to use the bananas already in the batter, genius! =)

xo

Christine said...

I love it too! I never would have thought of using bananas in the batter either, but it's good idea!

Kati @ Around the Plate said...

This is making me wish it was morning already! Looks delish!

Christine said...

Thanks, Kati! It's okay to have breakfast for dinner sometimes! ;-)