Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chickpea Salad

Are you a Vegetarian/Vegan who misses tuna salad?  I can relate! Nothing can tempt me to my former way of eating like the tuna salad sandwich!  (Okay, that and Turkey Hill's Double Dunker ice cream *yikes!*) Yet, I somehow resist. :) Maybe you do eat fish but you're looking for a change from the "same old".   I came up with this yummy chickpea salad using whatever I had in my fridge.  If you're hoping for something that tastes like a tuna salad sandwich, this isn't it.   But it will give you a similar consistency.  At least you'll feel like you're eating one. ;)  It's a different taste, but delicious in its own right!  

Chickpea Salad
Ingredients
2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
12 black olives, chopped
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp yellow mustard 

Directions:
Place all ingredients except for lemon juice and mustard in food processor. *Pulse* until ingredients are finely chopped and well combined.  Add lemon juice 1 tbsp at a time and pulse through.  Place mixture in bowl, add mustard and mix with a spoon until combined.  Enjoy on bread, in a wrap, with chips or by itself! 

*Pulsing the ingredients rather than fully processing them is important because you don't want everything to turn to mush.

Just in time for lunch!  


I had this mixture on a slice of my Basic Bread Machine Bread and it was delicious!   I topped it with some lettuce, tomato and onions.  I wanted to keep eating more.....!

1 comment:

Val said...

I love chickpeas like that! I've heard of 'Mock Tuna' a long time ago when I went vegetarian and while I never liked/ate tuna, I liked the version with chickpeas! LOL
Nowadays I don't even bother adding any kind of vegan mayo or sub. like I used to as a vegetarian. ;)