Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Larabar" inspired Vanilla Almond Date balls

Inspired by the Larabar, (all natural bars made from fruits/nuts and free of any added sugar, dairy, soy and gluten), I came up with my own version of a healthy snack using whole foods. I've made these in the past in a variety of flavors, but for today I will share my Vanilla Almond Date balls. Sometimes I form these into bars, and sometimes balls. Either way is fine. Today I decided to shape them into balls since I'm in the mood for a bite size snack that I can just pull out of the fridge and pop into my mouth.

Vanilla-Almond-Date Balls
Ingredients
12-15 Organic Dates
2/3 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:
Process dates in a food processor/blender.


Finely chop almonds.  In a large bowl, add the chopped almonds and vanilla extract to the processed date mixture.  Knead until all ingredients are well combined.


Break off small pieces and roll into balls.  Cover and refrigerate for about one hour, or until they firm up a bit.   (They may be a bit sticky, but the stickiness will go away once refrigerated).


Store in fridge in an airtight container.


Among other health benefits, dates are low-calorie and fat free, rich in dietary fiber, Vitamin A, beta-carotene and iron!   Almonds are also rich in dietary fiber as well as numerous vitamins and minerals.  This snack will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but it will also provide you with a healthy source of energy you need throughout your day!  


If you like these, you might also like my Peanut Butter & "Jelly" Energy Bars.



No comments: