Friday, May 4, 2012

Broccoli-Cashew Stir Fry

I'm never ordering Chinese Food again after making this dish! When I've ordered it in the past and have been reassured that the dish doesn't contain MSG, I'm still skeptical since MSG is present in so many more forms than just Monosodium Glutamate. I always order some type of vegetable dish and this is the perfect, natural substitute. You might wonder why I order Chinese Food at all since that's probably one of the biggest MSG offenders.  Well, I'm only human and I like Chinese food, so I occasionally take my chances (and usually regret it, although I always ask for no MSG!). Not anymore! This is my go-to dish from now on.   Since I'm always stocked up on brown rice and an assortment of fresh veggies, this dish is really easy to make in a snap!

Adapted from Taste of Home:

Broccoli-Cashew Stir Fry
(yields 4 servings)
Ingredients
4 cups cooked brown rice
2 tbsp water
2 cups broccoli crowns (stems removed)
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 large carrots, shredded
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 tbsp soy sauce (homemade)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup cashews

Directions:
Prepare rice according to directions.

While rice cooks, in a large stock pot saute broccoli, peppers, onions, carrots and garlic in water over medium heat until tender (around 5-7 minutes)

While vegetables are sauteing, combine cornstarch, vegetable broth, soy sauce and ginger in a bowl.  Stir until blended.   Gradually stir mixture into stock pot.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened (around 2 minutes).

Reduce heat to low, add cashews and stir to combine.  Cook until heated through. Serve with rice.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All soy sauce has MSG, its in soy proteins.

Christine said...

Thank you for your comment. The homemade soy sauce recipe should not contain MSG.