Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sloppy No's! ('No Meat' Sloppy Joe's)

I love this vegetarian twist for traditional Sloppy Joe's!  I've made it quite a few times and it's always a hit.  Lentils are the perfect texture to use in this dish, and the flavor is so good that you won't even miss the meat!  

Adapted from Post Punk Kitchen:


Sloppy No's
(serves 4-6)
Ingredients
1 cup uncooked lentils
2 tbsp water
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 small green pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp yellow mustard


Directions:
Prepare lentils according to package directions.  Once they're done, drain and set aside.


About 10 minutes before the lentils are done, preheat a medium stock pot over medium heat.  Saute the onions and peppers in water until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute a minute more.  Add cooked lentils, chili powder, oregano, salt pepper.  Stir to combine.   Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste.  Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 more minutes.

Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.   Serve and enjoy!




I've enjoyed this dish on sliced bread, "burger" buns and even on top of salad in place of dressing. It freezes well too.  I sometimes make a double batch and freeze one to have it on hand for those nights where I want something quick.  

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Val said...

I love Sloppy Lentils and PPK's version is one of my favorite! ;)
I think this is my favorite way of eating lentils too and it's so versatile, isn't it!? =)

Hmm now I feel inspired to make this dish over the weekend, thanks! xox

Christine said...

Hey Val! Yes, this is one of my favorites too! :)