Monday, May 7, 2012

Peanut Butter Blondies

Looking back over some of my older posts I'm sensing a peanut butter trend.  I can't help it, I love peanut butter!  I think I eat way too much of it, but I suppose there are worse things to be stuck on.  ;-)  I borrowed a dessert book from my sister again, the same book that inspired my Banana Chocolate Walnut Cookies, and knew I had to try these.  

This is that 'stick to the roof of your mouth' type of gooey dessert that's very rich and fudge-like.  You'll definitely want to wash these down with a tall glass of something cold (preferably some type of milk).   

I adapted this recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar.   My substitutions made this dessert refined sugar and oil free.  I was also able to reduce the amount of overall sugar by 1/4 cup.

Peanut Butter Blondies
(yields 12 blondies)
Ingredients
*3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup Organic, Grade B maple syrup
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup white whole wheat flour (all purpose should work too)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup peanuts

*I use the type of creamy peanut butter with oil separation,  the kind you have to stir, made with no hydrogenated oils, just peanuts.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish (I used coconut oil to grease).

In a mixing bowl, stir to combine peanut butter, applesauce and maple syrup.  Stir in the non-dairy milk and vanilla.

Add flour, salt and baking powder.  Combine to form a thick dough (it won't be too thick or too thin).  

Transfer dough to baking dish and spread evenly.   Add the peanuts on top and lightly press into place. 

Bake for 22 to 25 minutes (mine took the full 25); the blondie edges should be just barely darkened.  The top will appear soft but that is okay.   Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.


I thought these were really good, I just wasn't crazy about the peanuts on top.  I use raw, unsalted peanuts so maybe that's why.  I ended up picking them off and eating my blondie without them.   If you decide to make these without them it won't effect the outcome!

Enjoy!  :-)

No comments: