Friday, May 11, 2012

Lentil, Rice & Veggie Skillet

I had some veggies in my fridge about to go bad if I didn't use them soon, and I hate when that happens, so I decided to go with this dish for dinner.  I originally intended to just make it with rice, but the idea to add lentils for some extra protein came to mind and it worked out well.  I got the inspiration for this meal from The Naked Kitchen.  I adapted it quite a bit though and really liked how it turned out.   

Lentil, Rice & Veggie Skillet
Ingredients
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup cooked lentils
2 tbsp water
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups broccoli crowns, chopped
2 cups cauliflower crowns, chopped
 1 1/2 cups creamy sauce (or pasta/marinara sauce of your choice)

Directions:
Prepare brown rice & lentils according to package directions.

Prepare creamy sauce according to directions, but don't heat yet, just set aside.

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion & garlic in 1 tbsp water, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the broccoli & cauliflower and remaining tbsp of water.  Saute until broccoli is bright green and a bit tender (they will still be crunchy).

Add rice, lentils & pasta sauce to skillet, stir to combine with veggies.  Reduce heat to a simmer until the sauce is heated through.  Serve warm.

I would qualify this as a healthy "comfort food" dish.  It's warm, thick & hearty, while the veggies add a nice crunch.  

There really was no way to get a "pretty" picture of this dish, but I did my best! 

2 comments:

Val said...

Oh another lentil dish! I'll have to try that out; I often just eat brown rice or quinoa with lentils when I'm really lazy! LOL

Christine said...

Me too! It's really good with the veggies & sauce added though! :)